Saturday, October 3, 2015

Sew and Tell

Well, I just got back from LAST grocery store shopping for at least three weeks!  Actually quite happy about that… HATE grocery shopping!!  Don’t you?

IMG_4842

Anyhoo, got a spice cake in the oven, and spiced apples in the crockpot.  I made two big pots of soup last week, which are frozen for later. 

IMG_4841

I also made four tins of baked ziti, two tins of chicken pie, and two tins of chicken enchiladas last week, and all are also in the freezer, so my husband will just have to thaw, bake and add a salad, while I’m laid up with the new knee!

IMG_4844

House is clean, laundry done, and all is ready for my total left knee replacement surgery on Monday!  But before I am incommunicado, I want to share some more things I’ve made lately!!

IMG_4845

First off, before I had my right knee replaced on July 6th, I knew that putting my ten ton laptop on my lap/knees after the surgery was NOT going to happen,

IMG_4839

I bought a cool Zagg keyboard for my ipad, which pretty much turned it into a tiny laptop!!  But I needed a case or cover for it, as the old one does not work with the new attached keyboard!

IMG_4848

I had a stack of Mary Engelbreit squares leftover from a previous quit, so I used them to make a simple cover with a velcro tab.

IMG_4849

It has worked really well as I recuperated from the surgery… very light weight and easy to use on a little padded lapboard I bought on Amazon!!

IMG_4850

Our guild summer challenge was to do something “out of your box”…

File Aug 14, 8 24 57 AM

so I DID!  Paper piecing is very out of my box!

File Aug 14, 8 33 08 AM

I did make many mistakes…but learned as I went!

File Aug 14, 8 32 50 AM

While the process does ensure accuracy, and wonderful points…

File Aug 14, 8 33 27 AM

it’s still not my cup of tea! 

File Aug 14, 8 33 55 AM

But I have LOTS of respect for those who do it!!

IMG_5036

I also needed some modern looking placemats and table runner to put out in September with my “Back to School” decor.

IMG_5031

I had some cool apple fabrics in my stash, so I added a few coordinating blenders…

IMG_5030

and made big nine patch blocks which I cut into quarters and voila!!

IMG_5035

The disappearing nine patch technique!!

IMG_5046

I used the same brown word print for the center squares in all the nine patch blocks.  Really love how these turned out!!

IMG_5048

And finally, going by how long it took me to get up the stairs to the second floor in my home after last knee surgery, and how long it took me to be able to sit in a regular chair and bend my knee at a 90 degree angle comfortably…

IMG_5077

it was almost four weeks before I got into my sewing room to sit and sew!!

IMG_5084

So, I have put together a big maple leaf lap quilt top

IMG_5083

which is all sandwiched and ready to be quilted… HAND QUILTED !!  By ME!!! In the much easier Big Stitch style with pearl cotton thread!

IMG_5087

So, I am ready for my knee surgery on Monday!!  YAY!

IMG_5094

So, keep your fingers crossed for me, OK?  I probably won’t be fit to post for a few weeks!!

IMG_3720

Yogi says hello and hopes you all are loving the cooler autumn temps!!  

1signature

29 comments:

  1. Good luck with your surgery! It sounds like you've thought of everything to make life easier while you recuperate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are sew well organized. Prayers are being said for you, I'm putting you on our church prayer list tomorrow and will be thinking about you on Monday.

    Be safe, heal quickly and give Yogi a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, of course, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!
    Funny thing is I paper-pieced a block for the Farmer's Wife 1930s quilt today and I totally agree with you: it's not my cup either. I know how to do it, always make a few mistakes along the way and then I remember why it's not my favorite methode;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job pulling everything together before your surgery. There's no end to what women can accomplish. Love your maple leaf lap quilt. It's nice to know how to picture you while you are recuperating. Will keep you in my thoughts, esp. on Monday! XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending prayers and positive throughts your way for the knee surgery... I LOVE what you did with the Mary E squares ... so happy! That maple leaf quilt is gorgeous... I think you'll enjoy quilting it. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck, you came through the other one so well I feel sure this one will be just as good. Sounds like you have everyone taken care of so take good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best wishes for your forthcoming operation.
    Paper piecing is very rewarding and does become [a little] easier over time.
    I love the covers for your new 'electronic toy'! But I am wondering how you will fill in your days whilst recuperating as I understand there is so much off limits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all your projects, especially the paper piecing. I'll be thinking about you on Monday. Sending prayers and healing thoughts your way. XX

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a busy bee you've been with so many yummy meals ready to go and quilt projects ready for your recuperation. Praying for a good surgery and recuperation again!
    I like paper piecing, even though I keep trying with the other techniques, because paper piecing seems to be the only way that I'm able to keep anything square and keep points pointy.
    Blessings,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope everything goes well with your surgery. Getting to sit & sew as you recuperate is a good thing. I had a strict 6 week recovery time last year & loved every minute of it. :-) I absolutely LOVE your maple leaf quilt, I spy lots of lovely Kaffe fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the Maple leaf and how it showcases the fabric

    ReplyDelete
  12. I Love the paper pieced star you did... and while I understand about pp may not be your thing you could have "started" with something much easier , trust me on this.lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow- lots of great finishes! Best wishes for your coming surgery. I hope it goes as well as the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yea for your paper piecing! It's beautiful! I just started doing this also, I love it. On your maple lap quilt is that the backside with cross stitches for hand quilting? Cool idea to use cross stitches for quilting.
    Is that what this is?
    Take care with your knee surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck on your surgery, hope your recovery is swift! We'll all be waiting to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used to love grocery shopping..... I do not remember why, but not any more.
    Good luck best wishes with your surgery tomorrow.
    Prayers for recovery
    All of your projects are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will keep you in my prayers Polly and hope the left knee surgery tomorrow goes very well. Since this is the second go round, you will be an old pro at it and a very happy camper after all is said and done. Nothing like a pain free set of knees to put a smile on my face, although I wore more of a grimace during the therapy. Love all your projects and the picture of Yogi is priceless. He is such a handsome little guy and so personable. I bet he doesn't stray far from mommy, and is a big comfort to you. lv2bquilting2@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  18. Prayers for a speedy recovery! At least this time you know what to expect! Hope to see you back here very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hope the surgery all goes well. Remember Yogi take good care of your mum.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wish you the best with your knee surgery. Now that you learned what you can and can't do, I hope the recovery is twice as fast.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are very organised with all the cooking, grocery shopping as well as having that beautiful maple leaf quilt top to hand quilt before your surgery tomorrow.. Wish you all the best . XXX
    Your new table runner and back to school place mats are gorgeous and a great use of bright scraps for your new cover for the bigger iPad...
    You did well with the PP canc
    Dale well. Love your colours. Even though EPP is not my thing either I have signed up for a SAL. Not sure what I was thinking when I did ??
    Hi Yogi, take care of Mum while her knee is healing.....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Praying for successful surgery and speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Four years ago I had both my knees replaced 3 months apart and the recovery time for the second was much faster than the first! Praying your surgery and recovery are successful and speedy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Polly good luck for a successful and speedy recovery. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have been thinking of you and hoping that you are doing well in your recovery. Hope you are able to get around and up the stairs even earlier than the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi I hope your feeling good and your surgery went well. Take care and hope to hear from you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Polly I hope you are doing better. Is Yogi taking good care of you. When I am sick my doxies are my best buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I hope your knee is healing and you will be back to doing the things you love.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I hope you are doing better. I have missed your posts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you sooooooo very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I am always happy to know that someone is reading my ramblings!! Polly :-)