Last night was the Friday Night Sew-In!
Unfortunately, I was only able
to do a bit of sewing.
I had my annual eye exam earlier that day
and I had a really bad headache
and my eyes were hurting,
I guess from the dilation? :-(
Anyway, I had some leftover strip sets
from a honeybun quilt project.
I absolutely LOVE these Moda
"Attitude Girls" fabrics designed by
The bright primary colors mixed with
black and white just suck me in!!
And are soooooo perfect for a
"Back to School" purse!!
Anyway, all I was able to get done
last night for the Friday Night Sew-In
was to sew those eight blocks
together into 2 sets. That was it,
I just couldn't focus or concentrate
with that darn headache!! :-(
Today I felt much better and got right to work!!
I added black and red rickrack and
lined those two sets to use on the outside
of the purse as wrap-around pockets.
I had the striped fabric in my stash.
It is a heavier decor weight upolstery scrap.
Before I stitched those pockets on,
I ironed fusible fleece to the back of each
striped side piece and free-motion quilted it
with a heavy variegated thread.
I sewed the pockets on about 3" from the bottom
and also stitched through the pockets on some
of the piecing lines to divide the pockets into
sections for smaller items like cell phone,
sunglasses and keys.
I trimmed down the top of each side in
readiness for using some cute ready-made
red and white polka-dotted leather handles.
I used that piece as a pattern to cut out
2 lining pieces, which I also fused a lighter
weight fleece to on the wrong sides.
I added 2 pockets on those lining pieces.
With right sides together,
I sewed around all three sides
of both outer and lining pairs,
but left a 4" opening in one of the
lining sides to turn it through!
Then I boxed the bottom corners and added a
little fabric loop at the top of the back.
With right sides together, I pinned all
around the top seam of the two bags
and stiched them together
with a 3/8" seam allowance!
I turned the bag right side out through
the lining side seam opening.
Next, I stitched the side seam opening closed,
and pushed the lining down inside the bag.
I top-stitched all around the top seam with
heavy decorative variegated thread.
I sewed the two pre-made handles
onto the top points,
onto the top points,
and added a double button closure.
Now I am ready for school!!