Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Thank You All for the Quilt Love!!

First and foremost, a big huge THANK YOU for all your lovely, kind sweet comments you left after my last post about my Water Dance quilt!  They made me feel so happy that you liked my quilt!!  I like it, too!  :-)

wd4

I had another space for a wall quilt down in the bedroom in our basement, so I had been thinking of doing another floral art quilt when I saw the quilt on the front of the latest issue of Quilty!

IMG_3373

I loved the simplicity of it and the scrappy look!  But I decided to do it “my way”, of course.  I went through my scrap drawers which are full of piles of  5” charm squares leftover from the four years of making a Schnibble a Month, and pulled out all the soft pinky/peachy/beigy ones for the background, assorted green squares and a handful of bright pink, orange and purple ones for the leaves, and enough brown ones for the bottom row on the quilt.  I also pulled some brown scraps for the long thin sashing strips, which would become the stems.

IMG_3390

The blocks of the Quilty quilt were PIECED with the leaf part off center.  I chose to go the applique’ route by making a cardboard template of a leaf shape that would fit nicely on a 4 1/2” finished background square.  I chose an 8 block row across and an 8 block column down of the light background squares with a 1” vertical brown stem sashing between every other column and then a bottom brown row for the soil.

sprout3

I traced the template on the paper side of some fusible, cut them out, and pressed them onto the green and assorted bright charm squares.  Then I cut them out, peeled the paper backing off and fused them in the corners of the background squares so that they just barely touch the brown sashing stems, pointing up!  Super simple and fun to assemble!! 

sprout10

Pinned the sandwich and time to quilt!!  YAY!

sprout13

I stitched close to the the edge of every leaf and returned back up the middle to create the center vein.

sprout14

Then I free-motion-quilted a woody looking design down the sashing stems and a meander in the soil row.  Then I did some echo stitching around the leaves and stem.

sprout15

A quick project that was fun to make and quilt!!  Plus it was FREE as I used up lots of orphan charm squares from my scrap drawer!!  Woo Hoo!

sprout17

And now it’s hanging in place in our basement guest bedroom!! 

IMG_3433

I think it looks great in there!!  I named it “Sprouts”!

IMG_3416

I like it with the quilt on the bed in there!!

IMG_3430

The quilt on the bed is 2 years old… I made it for our guest room in the old house.  The quilt on the wall is even older!!

IMG_3431

Now, I can finally get started on the scrappy Halloween postage stamp quilt I’ve been itchin’ to make!!  :-)

yogi's nappin 

So, what are you up to this week?

1signature

27 comments:

  1. Sprouts looks fantastic. I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh "sprouts" is so pretty. It really looks perfect in that room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Sprouts " does look gorgeous in that bedroom with the quilt.
    Ladies at my Patch ( guild ) were blown away with your "Water Dance " wall hanging....
    I am busy catching up with a few swaps and getting ready for our retreat at the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gorgeous quilt!! In fact I find it difficult to choose my favourite between Sprouts and Water Dance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Sprouts is gorgeous! I also fell in love with this quilt and have started making the peels...but unfortunately my method takes a lot more time. I love how you adapted the pattern and simplified it. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sprouts is beautiful and looks great in that room, such a cheerful quilt for visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a guest room that anyone would love to stay in - so inviting. I love how warm and homey that my rooms look when there is a quilt somewhere in the room. Sprouts is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your Sprouts quilt Polly !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sprouts is adorable!!! You are so creative - love seeing what you do with fabric!!! Your guest room and bedroom are so lovely with your quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another beautiful quilt! Your guest room is lovely. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful quilt!!! you are better teacher for me, you have beautiful idea

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilt nice addition to the room. Always so nice to use on hand fabric stash

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to agree...that is a beautiful quilt! It does go so nicely and wow...that is just a very nice room!!! I am inspired to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how you decorated your bedrooms; so pretty and soothing. I am getting inspirations a new quilt for the master bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another amazing quilt. Love the look of everything together!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this quilt, I plan to make it too!! It looks easy and so cheerful. Do you have a Juki machine? I thought it looked like one, I am considering one and would love your input if you have one. Always enjoy your blog, your taste in quilts is so great, and the outcome always lovely!!!
    diannemitzel1@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an incredible quilt and it's in the perfect setting!! Well done!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow...all your work is fantastic. I love the first picture from this post, looks so wonderful together.
    And your new quilt is wonderful too.
    Grit from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like seeing all your beautiful quilts in use both on beds and on walls. Love the leafy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The quilt on the wall is so pretty. The colors gorgeous. An unusual design.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the scrappy flower quilt! The colors are just what I would have chosen too and I agree, it looks fabulous in the guest bedroom. The most sewing I've done in the past few weeks was to hem table runners for my daughter's upcoming wedding. Only a couple more weeks and the big day will be here and then I'm sure I'll need a vacation, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh. My. Goodness I am soooooo in love with your Sprouts quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your Sprouts quilt! Leslie sent me over to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sprouts is just beautiful and I love the quilt on the wall, is there another picture of the whole quilt somewhere on your blog?
    thanks for sharing, oh btw I love the idea of making a halloween postage stamp quilt. that will be so fun!
    hope you will keep sharing pictures of it as you make more and more blocks
    Kathie who now has to start collecting halloween fabrics!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you sooooooo very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I am always happy to know that someone is reading my ramblings!! Polly :-)