Wednesday, January 9, 2019

A New Year

There's just something about January... a whole new year stretching out in front of me.  Do you make New Year Resolutions?   I used to, years ago.  Now, I simply think of things I want to accomplish and how to go about getting them done.  And I always do some reorganizing and clearing out/cleaning out.  I really love that part.  So far this new month and year, I've reorganized and cleaned out my kitchen pantry.  I'm surprised at how long it took me and how much out of date food was lurking in there!  Ugh!! I also added a new LED light strip in there that charges via USB.  I added one a few years ago in our coat closet and it is sooooo helpful!
In my sewing room, I had five full old really big - 5" wide, three ring binders full of designs and patterns I saved from 15 years of quilt magazines sitting in my cupboard.  They were so big and heavy and unwieldy with my non-existent hand grip, that I never dug them out and used them.  My friend Suzanne told me she took all her big binders and broke them out and switched them out into smaller ones.  GREAT IDEA!!!  I got a bunch of 1.5" wide binders from Amazon, and spent a few days going through all my old binders and reorganized them into smaller ones that now fit on my open book shelves, where they are in easy reach!!  I threw out over half the stuff I had collected over the years.  Sometimes our likes change over time... haven't you found that to be true with you, too?  Do you reorganize stuff in your home and sewing room in January?
I have some things to share that I made the last bit of 2018!  Most were gifts that I couldn't share before Christmas!  I'm in two bees, so I made some small things for gifts for these dear fiends...and of course, I forgot to take photos of some of them.  But I did take a photo of some little embroidered needle minders...designed by Kathy Schmitz.




I bought an old oak secretary desk that had some water damage on the front to put downstairs in my library. 



I took out all the insides so my featherweight machine would fit in it. Now, if I want to sew downstairs,  I can!!  




I made a wool stitchery for the slant front to cover the water damage and am so pleased how it turned out!






I made a fun stoplight quilt, from an old jelly roll. It was quick to cut and sew together!!  I named it Italian Flower Market.  I would definitely make this design again! As I HATE the cutting part of quilting, this was a breeze with precut strips!!





I finally made the big Moda Swell Santa panel quilt.







I used a jelly roll cut into rail fence strips for the background, and put fusible around the edge of the Santa applique then stitched the edges with black zigzag stitches.  I free motion quilted it on my Bernina 790.  It was fun to make!!  I gave it to my grandson, Neal, for Christmas.  He seems to like it!!  It's a good place to play with his trucks!!


Speaking of Neal, we were blessed to watch him a few times for my son and his wife over the holidays.  He is such a delight in every way!  Cute and smart and kind!  It's so wonderful to see your grown children bringing up their own children the best way possible!





So, what did you all do these last few weeks?  Hope your Christmas was the best ever!!

8 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I love what you did with the old desk. That was very clever. I went through old patterns in binders about a month ago and pitched a lot of stuff that I no longer had interest in making. You're so right about our tastes changing. Now I have a stack of magazines to go through. I'll take my discarded magazines to guild next month to give away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness--you have been busy--love all the quilts--so lovely and that desk now sewing center is really a great idea and love the wool runner on the front of it--how clever of you to do that--
    cute grandbaby there too--
    and I have definitely seen my taste change lately and have also done alot of cleaning out of old files in notebooks and on the computer in downloads--!!
    luv, di

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new sewing station downstairs!! I love how anyone coming in your home would know that a quilter lives there!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute embroidered needle holders...Great Jelly Roll quilt and will check out the pattern, thanks.
    Lovely the wool cover you stitched for the sweet vintage cabinet. Love the photos of Yogi on the wall.
    Fantastic Santa quilt for Noel and always nice to see photos of him.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much to look at in your post. I thoroughly enjoyed the view.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a clever idea to put the wool cover over the water damage! I never think of ideas like that. Yes, I'm clearing out things in sewing room but can't part with any of my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete








  8. i couldn't believe that i would ever be re-unite with my ex-lover, i was so traumatize staying all alone with no body to stay by me and to be with me, but i was so lucky one certain day to meet this powerful spell caster Dr Akhere,after telling him about my situation he did everything humanly possible to see that my lover come back to me,indeed after casting the spell my ex-lover came back to me less than 48 hours,my ex-lover came back begging me that he will never leave me again,3 months later we got engaged and married,if you are having this same situation just contact Dr Akhere on his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com thanks very much sir for restoring my ex-lover back to me,his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346












































































































































































    hindi ako makapaniwala na kailanman ay muling makiisa ako sa aking kasintahan, labis akong na-trauma sa pananatiling nag-iisa na walang katawan na manatili sa akin at makakasama ko, ngunit napakasuwerte ako sa isang tiyak na araw upang matugunan ito malakas na spell caster na si Dr Akhere, matapos sabihin sa kanya ang tungkol sa aking sitwasyon ginawa niya ang lahat ng makataong posible upang makita na ang aking kasintahan ay bumalik sa akin, sa katunayan matapos na ihagis ang spell ang aking dating kasintahan ay bumalik sa akin ng mas mababa sa 48 oras, dumating ang dating kasintahan ko. bumalik sa pagmamakaawa sa akin na hindi na niya ako pababayaan, 3 buwan mamaya kami ay nakipag-ugnay at nag-asawa, kung nagkakaroon ka ng parehong sitwasyong ito makipag-ugnay lamang kay Dr Akhere sa kanyang email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com maraming salamat sa sir sa pagpapanumbalik ng aking dating kasintahan bumalik sa akin, ang kanyang email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com o tumawag / whatsapp: +2349057261346

    ReplyDelete

Thank you sooooooo very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I am always happy to know that someone is reading my ramblings!! Polly :-)