Friday, July 18, 2014

My Guild Summer Challenge Quilt!

Ever since our local quilt guild announced this summer’s challenge, I’ve been racking my brain what to make and what colors to choose.

IMG_3257

One dear friend decided to make the half-square triangle quilt she’s always wanted to make using blues and whites.  And another one has made a purple and white postage stamp quilt for the challenge!!  And I could not decide what colors to choose!!

IMG_3258

If i were to pick the fabric color I have the most of in my stash, it’d have to be green…  but what color to go with green??? 

IMG_3260

I was looking through my stash bins last weekend and found a kit I bought at least a year ago from Connecting Threads and had totally forgotten about!

IMG_3259

A two color only quilt!!  The name of this pattern is “Floating Stars” and is still available on the Connecting threads website!

IMG_3263

A red and white quilt!!

IMG_3262

With such lovely fabrics for the top and binding!!

IMG_3265

And I even had bought the backing, too!!

IMG_3267

EUREKA!!!  I had my summer challenge project already in my stash!! 

IMG_3271

Did not have to buy a thing!!

IMG_3272

Not even batting or thread!!

IMG_3273

So, I cut it all out!

IMG_3277

Strip pieced the blocks!!

IMG_3279

Made the top!

IMG_3282

Laid it out on the kitchen island and pinned the quilt sandwich!

IMG_3289

And took a few days to quilt it on The Queen Mother ( aka my HQ Sweet Sixteen Sit Down machine)! 

IMG_3294

I quilted it with freehand leaves… which has always been such a fav of mine!!

IMG_3297

When I’m quilting on The Queen Mother, my sewing room is a bit of a mess, as I have to move stuff off her and set up the side tables for more surface area for the project to lie on.

IMG_3274

Well, I finished the last little bit of quilting this morning and worked on the binding this afternoon!

IMG_3304

And I found the most perfect label in my label box!!  It was meant to be!

IMG_3314

Yippee skippee!  All done!!

IMG_3299

I am really pleased how well it turned out and I’ve always wanted a red and white quilt!!

IMG_3309

OK, any of you HQU ladies out there reading this post, I hope you all are working on your own challenge project and I can not WAIT to see them all at the September meeting!!

IMG_3319

Yogi wants to know what you are busy working on this weekend!?

IMG_3101

1signature

17 comments:

  1. our guild had a challenge project this year - circles. The quilt had to have circles incorporated in some way. I made a round quilt. It was definitely fun. Love your red and white quilt since red is my favorite color.

    My weekend will be spent working on some blocks for a Halloween block swap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that quilt!!! i have some red and white fabric from a swap a few years ago. I think it's going to become stars someday. I might attempt something like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made the same quilt myself last year and finally got it quilted this spring. I love connecting threads and this was a fun quilt to make and it's so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love it! I like swirls a lot! My son and I made a huge detour in plans for his quilt...so I am thinking through plan B for this quilt challenge. I didn't think I'd have any hope of completing it before it was due since I'm busy with other stuff too. I thought it was due in August! Your announcement of September helps!
    I also like the name of your sewing machine! ;)
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the quilt Polly! I have the same kit but haven't gotten to it yet. I hope my turns out as pretty as yours did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How great is that? and it's beautiful. SewCalGal has a red and white quilt link up going on now until Sept. You may want to enter your new beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Red and White challenge quilt is gorgeous,...
    Our Gulid had Friendship Day today, Christmas in July theme. Sew not much sewing done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, it's beautiful, Polly! Love the quilting too - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like it was all meant to be. Your quilt is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely quilt. Nothing beats shopping in your stash.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful quilt and very cute puppy! What a perfect day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the fabric used for this red and white quilt and am wondering if you know the manufacturer and name of the fabric itself. It is bold and beautiful and would make a beautiful quilt.
    lv2bquilting2@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your red and white quilt. Did it take you a long time to master your quilting machine? I would love to have one, but am getting older, and wonder If I have what it takes to master this..does it have to be guided by you, or are there patterns you can use, just wondering how complicated it would be. I have taken a few free motion classes, but could never sit down and do that!

    diannemitzel1@hotmail.com



    ion classes, so kind of know the ins and outs, but could never sit down and do what you did..lovely work!
    diannemitzel1@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I usually ponder what to do until it is just to late to do anything. Love your quilt, those stars are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your quilt is GORGEOUS! There's something so special about two-color quilts. Yours is exceptional and you had everything in your stash!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This quilt is fantastic. Wonderful fabrics. I have the Sweet Sixteen too.
    Lovely dog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you sooooooo very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I am always happy to know that someone is reading my ramblings!! Polly :-)