Monday, October 5, 2009

Fall CQU Retreat

This past weekend was our annual fall quilt retreat for Centreville Quilters Unlimited guild. There were 20 of us there for the weekend. We go to a rustic Baptist retreat center in Winchester, VA. We arrive after lunch on Friday and stay through lunch on Sunday. We sleep in bunk beds in cabins and the rest of the time we are sewing away in the main hall. Here are a few of the quilts and projects made or at least completed at the retreat.



This little Christmas wall hanging was made by my dear friend, Susan. I just love the lime green and teal blue in this Christmas fabric collection.



This was the first project I made at retreat. I bought the Autumn Bounty fabric panel online and used the pattern in the latest Fons and Porter magazine to make this top. Except for the panel, it was a stash quilt.



This was the first UFO project I completed at retreat. I'd made the blocks for this "Field of Flowers" quilt made with a Roman Holiday jelly roll at the spring retreat but never finished it until now. I just love this fabric collection and how very quickly this quilt top goes together!



Here is the very same Field of Flowers quilt pattern made up in a Halloween jelly roll by my friend Marianne! She chose not to put a border on it. Isn't it awesome in these fun fabrics?



Here's just one of many baby quilts made at retreat by Jean and her daughter Mandy. Mandy's baby is due in December and she's gonna have a whole bunch of bright pretty new quilts to be wrapped in!! Hope she likes bright colors!!


Terry took some time off from being an air traffic controller and de-stressed by making this cute little wall hanging. Very woodsy and full of nature! Love those flying geese!



Another Terri showed us 2 quilts she just picked up from the longarmer. This one was a mystery quilt! Gorgeous, isn't it?




This maple leaf quilt is so stunning. Her whole bee made them after seeing one I had made a few years ago! I just love the fall leaf colors against the blue sky!!



And last but not least, Cecile completed the "wall hanging from h _ _ _!! It took her all of Friday afternoon and half of Saturday to get this project sewn together....lots and lots of little pieces. Then, Saturday night, she told us a story of Mr. Moon, a patient of hers back when she was in nursing school. We all laughed the rest of the night just thinking about poor Mr. Moon. :-)
Well, now that retreat is over, it's back to reality and the work week. UGH! I started a cute rooster purse at retreat and will finish it this week at night. I also took some photos of my Halloween quilts you saw draped over furniture in my Halloween decorating post. I'll show you my fav in the next post... along with a fun surprise! Stay tuned!! Happy fall, y'all!

2 comments:

  1. Goodness, what wonderful projects!! What a talented group of ladies. The leaves on the Maple Leaf quilt just POP, love it.

    And, wow, what a difference fabrics make when creating a quilt - your Roman Holiday jelly roll quilt gives a whole different look than the one made from Halloween fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a neat show and tell...lovely fall quilts and a great jellyroll strip quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you sooooooo very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I am always happy to know that someone is reading my ramblings!! Polly :-)