Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Monster Parade

Fall is by far my favorite season of the year and my favorite holiday has always been Halloween! Every summer I get excited again about the coming of autumn and get the urge to make some Halloween quilts. So, as the summer is almost over for me as a teacher, and the summer challenge for our quilt guild was to make a stash quilt or scrap quilt, I just killed two birds with one stone, so to speak! I made this Halloween quilt from fabric in my stash- nothing new was bought for this quilt! I have TONS of Halloween fabric lurking in my stash. And I just lovvvveeeeee this border fabric of scary monsters walking with spooky-faced balloons floating above them. This is only the second time I've ever done mitered corners on a border. I think it turned out well, don't you?


I made a very simple quilt with a square in a square in a square block alternated with squares of black Halloween prints. The pieced blocks are quite busy, so I felt the eye needed a place to rest between them on the black prints.




I added a 3" striped border then the final mitered border of the monsters parading on Halloween night! Such a fun and easy quilt. Took less than a day to complete. Now to quilt it....



I still have soooooooo many scraps of Halloween prints...am thinking of cutting them into 3" squares and making that Big Bag Theory tote I've made twice now that makes a HUGE bag when using 5" squares but turns out a nice handbag sized purse when made in 3" squares!
As I only have a week left off until I start back to work for the new school year, I need some new clothes, so will stop sewing quilts for a few days and make some new clothes for work. I've got three tops cut out and have a few more to cut out tonight!
So, what are YOU doing in your sewing room this week????

2 comments:

  1. OMG I Loooooovve it!! How cute is that!!! I love the Halloween stuff.....well you know I do - wonderful!!!
    I use a Canon Powershot SX110IS - love it!!
    Sarah
    Sent your pic and treat off yesterday - will be there soon - let me know what ya think - thank you again hon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Autumn as well - absolutely my favorite time of year. And besides that, I haven't called my kids "pumpkin" all these years for nothing....LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you sooooooo very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I am always happy to know that someone is reading my ramblings!! Polly :-)