Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Quilt in a Cup

I bought this awesome insulated cup kit last June at our annual QU quilt show here in northern VA. This newer version has a tight fitting lid and a big straw, whereas the older version does not. And I could definitely envision myself knocking that one over and spilling something on a work in progress! UGH!! So I was thrilled when they upgraded them with lids!!




As my sewing room decor is Mary Engelbreit with all her whimsical prints and vivid use of bright primary colors and lots of black and white... I went through my stash scraps and made my inside fabric "mini-quilt"cover from her fun prints.

Instead of free-motion quilting all over it, I played with my eight gazillion different stitches on my Bernina Artista 640 and used a different stitch on every seam. You can see it much better from the wrong side. That was fun!!


Then you just press under one long straight edge and pop it around the white inner core and slide it into the clear outer cup and screw it down tight. The lid just pops on and off.

And taaadaaa!! All done!!



I used my favorite Mary Engelbreit slogan for the center part and
sewed on the strips building the piece around it like a log cabin block.







I love it! It is so fun and will be used everytime I'm in the sewing room. I am a big water drinker and almost always have a bottle or big cup next to me everywhere I go...
even in the car!!


Even my sweet Yogi likes it! My husband call him my "girlie dog" as he loves to sleep in his bed on my sewing table. When he's not snoozing away, he's scoping out the squirrels down below on the deck through the window!!


God Bless, Polly :-)

2 comments:

  1. That is so cute! I too have come to love her fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute project. I love it when you share pictures of Yogi. He is such a cute dog and being a 'girly dog' doesn't seem to faze him a bit. LOL Winona

    ReplyDelete

Thank you sooooooo very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I am always happy to know that someone is reading my ramblings!! Polly :-)