Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

Do you have a favorite Thanksgiving decoration?

You know, one that you pull out every year to display somewhere prominently so that you can gaze upon it daily?  It’s your favorite because of the fond memories associated with it? 

I sure do!

jalopy

I bought this little wooden hand-painted jalopy at a craft fair in a local Catholic church in Coral Springs, Florida back in 1995 when I lived there and had my own booth at all the local craft fairs.  My dear sisters and Mother would come down to southern Florida from their homes in central Florida for the weekend and help me lug all my stuff over to the church, set up my booth and run it the whole weekend and then help me take it all down and lug it all back home.

(All the photos I have of those times are 35mm, not digital… I should get one of those converter box thingies, huh?)

We used to have such a good time chatting, selling, eating and admiring others’ wares and shopping at all the booths. 

I remember my oldest sister Patty and I both falling in love with this little jalopy… especially because of the traditional song lyrics painted across it… so we both had to buy one!!  :-)

You have no idea how many times over the years, we have discovered that even living many states apart since I moved here to Virginia in 1998, that we’ve gone to our local stores and bought the exact same thing- fabrics, patterns, decorative home accents, purses, linens, clothes, jewelry…  it’s like we’re twins from another time!  The photo below was from 1958 with Patty, Sally, me and Cyndy in our kitchen for my second birthday.

sisters

Another reason it is amazing is that with Patty being the oldest of 4 sisters and me being the youngest, there are 12 years between our ages- she was in her first year of college when I was in first grade, so I don’t have allot of memories of her always being around as child, yet we are so alike!  Good strong genes???

fam 60's

Well, I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving with all the trimmings!  It will be a nice quiet one for our family- just the four of us!  My husband and sons will be out tomorrow morning for a flag football game which leaves Yogi and I to do the cooking!  The menu is traditional- turkey, stuffing, gravy, sweet potato casserole, green beans, cranberry salad, rolls, pumpkin pie and coffee! 

What’re you having? 

Are you cooking or traveling?

nov front door 

Happy Thanksgiving to all  :-)

1signature

 

11 comments:

  1. Hi Polly,

    Oh, I love this post. I love reading about family and their traditions. I am an only child with no family now and I just soak up family stories.

    We are having a traditional Thanksgiving too. We watch the Macy's Parade with orange juice & champagne, and an assortment of snacks. Then on to making dinner. I love every minute.

    Blessings, and I am so glad we "met". (o:

    Hugs,
    Joyce

    P.S. I hope Yogi has a "woof" of a day too. Have you heard of Frosty Paws (doggy ice cream?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are traveling and getting to see family and friends that we haven't seen in 4 years. I am excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And to you, sweet Polly. I hear your story and have a similar thing going on with my little sister. We weren't even raised together, being so many years between us. It's just amazing, isn't it?? Enjoy, karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful family day and I hope you have a lot of fun and don't eat too much! We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Australia and there is nothing similar...

    ReplyDelete
  5. We will be spending Thanksgiving with my in laws which is the family tradition. Big crowd and lots of food. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Polly I loved reading your post and seeing the photos of your family. You have not changed.

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun to recall the memories with you!

    Most of my treasured items are those that the children made when they were young. It's always great to bring them out each year.

    We celebrate our Thanksgiving on Saturday so the kids can all go to in-laws on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Traveling to MS later today but I'm taking two chocolate chess pies and a delicious apple salad. We will be pretty traditional - turkey, dressing different veggies and boiled custard -- YUM. Have a nice Thanksgiving.
    Vail

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just the three of us this year..eating out and a movie...though I will make pumpkin pie for evening snack. :-)
    Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post. The Canadian Thanksgiving is in Oct so we have already had our turkey and fixings. Next will be the Xmas bird.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy "couple days late" Thanksgiving to you, Dear Polly.

    I do hope Yogi wasn't left out in the "leftover" area...LOL

    I cooked for a couple days and as always, had to many left overs. Isn't that what it's all about - so others can take home platters of goodies to munch on?

    I wonder - when do we stop making Thanksgiving dinner? Or do we? LOL

    Here's wishing you a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you sooooooo very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I am always happy to know that someone is reading my ramblings!! Polly :-)